Unlocking the Process: A Step-by-Step Guide to Re-keying a Door Lock
Created at : Nov 17 2023
Re-keying a door involves adjusting the internal components of a lock so that it works with a new key. This process is often done by locksmiths when a property owner wants to change the key that operates their locks without replacing the entire lock mechanism. In Dunn, NC, call 4GotKeys??? for your re-keying needs. They will successfully complete all of the following steps to get you back in to where you need to be.
Remove the Lock Cylinder:
- The locksmith starts by removing the lock cylinder from the door. This often requires taking out screws or detaching a faceplate.
Take Apart the Lock Cylinder:
- Once the lock cylinder is removed, the locksmith disassembles it. Inside, there are various pins, springs, and other components.
Remove the Existing Pins:
- The locksmith removes the existing pins from the lock cylinder. Each pin corresponds to a specific cut on the original key.
Insert the New Key:
- The locksmith inserts the new key into the lock cylinder. This key will be used to determine the new pin heights.
Insert New Pins:
- Based on the new key's cuts, the locksmith inserts a set of new pins into the pin chambers inside the lock cylinder. These new pins are of different lengths to match the new key.
Check for Proper Alignment:
- The locksmith carefully checks to ensure that all the new pins are aligned properly. The key should be able to smoothly turn the lock cylinder without any resistance.
Reassemble the Lock Cylinder:
- Once satisfied with the alignment, the locksmith reassembles the lock cylinder, putting all the components back in place.
Reinstall the Lock:
- The locksmith puts the re-keyed lock cylinder back into the door, securing it with screws or any other necessary components.
Test the New Key:
- The locksmith tests the new key to ensure that it operates the lock smoothly. They may also check the lock with the old key to verify that it no longer works.
Re-keying is a cost-effective way to change the key for a lock without having to replace the entire lockset. It's a common practice in situations where a property owner wants to enhance security or control access without investing in new locks. 4GotKeys??? stands ready to help you with all your Dunn, NC locksmith needs.